Consumer Information/Information Collection
When you browse the Site and have not registered for any online service from Valero, you browse anonymously. Personal information - such as your name, address, phone number or e-mail address - is not collected as you browse. Valero does, however, use "cookies" to collect non-personal information about how our Site is used. Non-personal information, such as the server your computer is logged onto, your browser type (for example, Netscape or Internet Explorer), and whether you responded to a Valero banner ad or e-mail is collected and tracked. This non-personal information is used for the purpose of measuring response rates to banner ads and e-mail offers. Registration for Online Products and Services. In order to provide you with a particular product or service online, we may request that you voluntarily supply us with personal information, including your e-mail address and credit card account number (if you are a Valero consumer credit cardholder, for example), for purposes such as correspondence, site registration, checking your bill online, making a purchase, or participating in online surveys and enabling us to provide an online product or service to you in an efficient manner. This information could include any one or more of the following:
(A) Identifiers such as your real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
(B) Your signature, physical characteristics or description, telephone number, state identification card number, insurance policy number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
(C) Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law.
(D) Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
(E) Biometric information.
(F) Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
(G) Geolocation data.
(H) Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information, including if you call our consumer customer service telephone number.
(I) Professional or employment-related information.
(J) Education information about you that is not publicly available.
(K) Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this list to create a profile of you reflecting the your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
The information that we receive and use depends on what you do when you visit our Site. We may use information that you provide to us on our Site for any one or more of the following purposes:
(1) Auditing related to a current interaction with you and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards.
(2) Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity.
(3) Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
(4) Short-term, transient use, provided that we will not disclose any of your personal information to another third party and we will not use it to build a profile about you or otherwise alter your experience outside the current interaction, including, but not limited to, the contextual customization of ads shown as part of the same interaction.
(5) Performing services on our behalf or that of one of our service providers, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying your customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services, or providing similar services.
(6) Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
(7) Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance any service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us.
(8) Engaging in commercial purposes to advance our commercial or economic interests, such as by inducing you or another person to buy, rent, lease, join, subscribe to, provide, or exchange products, goods, property, information, or services, or enabling or effecting, directly or indirectly, a commercial transaction.
When your web browser or e-mail application requests a web page or e-mail from another computer on the Internet, it automatically gives that computer the address where it should send the information. This is called your computer's "IP address." (IP stands for "Internet protocol.") For most users accessing the Internet from a dial-up Internet service provider (ISP), the IP address will be different every time you log on. We use your IP address to help diagnose service or technology problems with our server, and to administer our Site. We use your IP address to send you the most appropriate advertising based on geographic area or information derived from your IP address. Many IP addresses are commonly associated with Internet service providers, universities, or major corporations in specific regions or localities. Aggregate information derived from IP addresses may also be reported to advertisers. Your IP address is used to help identify you, to track activity within our Site and to gather broad demographic information which is used to further develop advertisements, products and services.
Other Nonpublic Personal Information
When you submit your information for a credit card application, Valero retrieves a credit report. Valero may also generate and store a consumer credit score and personalized recommendations for each registered user. Some registered users may also receive pre-approved offers of credit while at the Site. Registered users may request Valero to retrieve and generate this credit-related information multiple times in a year at no cost to you. The credit report is typically stored for approximately 45 days. The scores, recommendations and any offers viewed or accepted and the dates of that information may be stored indefinitely. While these items are not sold to third parties for any reason, they may be used to qualify registered users for certain products, services or promotions. See the Disclosure of Personal Information section below for additional information.
Disclosure of Personal Information
From time to time, we enter into contractual agreements with nonaffiliated, third party providers, such as marketers, Web hosting facilities, transaction processors and decisioning systems. In the course of providing services, these parties may receive your personally identifiable information. These parties, however, are obligated by contract to maintain the confidentiality of the information.
We use the demographic information in your profile to tailor your experience at our Site, showing the users content that we think they might be interested in, and displaying the content according to their preferences. We may disclose personal information to conduct other legitimate business activities not otherwise prohibited by law.
Advertising and Promotions
While at our Site, we may use information you provide to inform you of products and services offered by Valero and third parties, as well as advertisements and promotions for products and services offered at other web sites or retail establishments. If you click on an ad or promotion which appears on our site without accepting an offer for a product or service, we will not provide individually identifiable data to the third party offering the ad or promotion. Overall demographic information may be shared with these advertisers on an aggregate basis, without individually identifiable information.
Acceptance of Offers
If you accept products or services offered by third parties while remaining on our Site, individually identifiable information required for such acceptance, such as name, address and social security number, provided to us will be transmitted to the third party only upon final acceptance of that product or service. Customers will be informed that they are accepting a product or service of a third party, and may or may not be subsequently linked to the third party's web site. Third party suppliers might include providers of financial services, credit information, or other consumer products, and may have privacy policies related to their web site, the internet and e-commerce which are different than ours. If you do not want your individually identifiable information shared with any third parties, do not accept any offers for services from third party organizations. Prior to any such acceptance you will be informed that some or all of your individually identifiable and nonpublic information may likely be shared with that organization.
Valero may make other disclosures as permitted or required by law to nonaffiliated third parties in addition to those described in the notice.
Our Site encourages registered users to send e-mail messages to us and to provide us with e-mail and name information for friends who may be interested in the services and information provided at our Site. We provide the registered user with an e-mail hyperlink to refer friends to our Site. That information is stored in a prospect database and is listed as a referral from the registered user for up to 90 days. This information is not sold or distributed to any third parties.
Web Site Links
This Site contains links to other sites. Valero is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites. Please refer to those sites for specific information about their privacy or security practices or policies.
Changes to the Privacy and Security Policy
The protection of consumer information is one the guiding principles behind Valero. Because of that stance, registered users will be notified via e-mail (if you have provided us with your e-mail address) of any changes to the Privacy and Security Policy. We will also post a change notification marker on www.valero.com home page for review.
This Site has security measures in place to protect against the negligent or inadvertent loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Valero’s networking systems include an industry standard firewall and systems that are both physically and logically protected (via secured locations and passwords). Consumer information will be regularly backed-up and stored in a secure location. Credit Report information will be kept on our servers in encrypted format for a maximum of 45 days. Other consumer data (such as name, address, etc.) will be kept on an industry standard computer database fully protected behind a firewall. If you have specific additional questions about Valero’s systems or the storage of data, please contact us online Customer.Relations@valero.com.
This Site supplements the information you provide us with information that is received from third parties, such as credit bureaus and census data.
Our Commitment to Children's Privacy: Protecting the privacy of children is especially important. For this reason, we never collect or maintain information at our Site from those we actually know are under 18, and no part of our Site is structured to attract anyone under 18.
Our Site provides users the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from affiliates or non-affiliated third parties at the point where we request information about the visitor. The benefits of remaining on our mailing list include e-mail notification about enhanced service or product offerings that we believe may be of interest to you. This Site gives registered users the following option for removing their information from our e-mail database to not receive future offers and communications via e-mail, direct mail or telemarketing. You can send e-mail to Customer.Relations@valero.com.
Contacting the Web Site
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments about this privacy statement, the practices of this Site, or your dealings with this Site, you can contact: Customer.Relations@valero.com.
California Consumer Privacy Act
California residents have the right to:
- Request that a business delete any personal information about the consumer which the business has collected from the consumer.
- Request that a business that collects personal information about the consumer disclose to the consumer, free of charge, the following:
- The categories of personal information that it has collected about that consumer.
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom the business shares personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information it has collected about that consumer.
- Request that a business that sells the consumer's personal information, or that discloses it for a business purpose disclose, free of charge, to the consumer:
- The categories of personal information that the business collected about the consumer.
- The categories of personal information that the business sold about the consumer and the categories of third parties to whom the personal was sold, by category or categories of personal information for each third party to whom the personal information was sold.
- The categories of personal information that the business disclosed about the consumer for a business purpose.
- Direct a business that sells personal information about the consumer to third parties not to sell the consumer's personal information.
You may submit a request under the California Consumer Privacy Act through the following methods:
- You may call us toll-free at 866-297-6093.
- You may e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To respond to a request, we are required to verify your identity. We may also need to contact you to confirm your request. You may also designate an authorized agent to make such requests on your behalf by providing us with written permission establishing that your agent is authorized to act on your behalf. We will not discriminate against you because you exercise any of the rights as described in this section.
Personal Data From the European Union