Valero Renewables - Welcome
1444 120th St.
Welcome, MN 56181
The Welcome plant, located on 300 acres about 160 miles southwest of Minneapolis, produces ethanol, distillers grains livestock feed and fuel- and feed-grade corn oil. With original startup in June 2009, the plant was acquired by Valero in April 2009.
The plant became one of the industry’s first zero liquid discharge facilities, releasing no wastewater and reusing process water and storm water to supplement well water coming in. The facility also is the only ethanol plant Valero opened brand new, completing construction two months after its purchase.
The plant buys corn directly from farmers and grain elevators within approximately 60 miles.
Welcome was established in 1880 by the Southern Minnesota Extension Company on land owned by S. L. Campbell; it was called Campbell's Switch. In July 1881 the post office was established as Lily Creek – since that town already existed, the name was changed to Welcome in September; in honor of Alfred M. Welcome, whose farm was on its southwest side. It was incorporated as a village in the townships of Manyaska, Fox Lake, and Rolling Green on May 7, 1890 and separated from those townships on April 24, 1907.
Population: 686 in 2010 Census