Valero knows that being a good operator also means being a good neighbor. The company demonstrates its commitment to all of its communities through a variety of philanthropic efforts, volunteer activities and educational support programs.
For a fourth consecutive time, Valero made the list of America’s 50 most community-minded major companies, The Civic 50, and was recognized as the list's top energy-sector company. The list is an annual initiative of Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, recognizing companies for their commitment to improve the quality of life in communities where they do business.
Overall in 2017, Valero, its employees and charitable organizations generated more than $54 million for worthy charities or causes, through direct donations or fundraising.
Always a leading supporter of the United Way as a two-time national Spirit of America Award winner, employee pledges and projected company matches topped $13.4 million in 2017, for donations in 2018. In Canada, company and employee donations to Centraide/United Way were approximately $650,000.
- The company raised $12 million for charities across the United States in 2018 through the Valero Texas Open and Benefit for Children. The contribution is among the largest charity gifts on the PGA Tour. The tourney is one of only four tour events to raise more than $100 million, totaling more than $138 million through 2018.
- The Valero Energy Foundation – Valero’s philanthropic arm – contributed approximately $14.9 million plus in-kind donations in 2017 to improve the lives of those who live in or near the communities where Valero has major operations, funding nonprofit agencies that serve predominantly disadvantaged children and families within four pillars:
- Basic Needs (food, shelter): In 2017, the Valero Energy Foundation provided approximately $3.2 million in assistance to agencies that provide basic needs of life to disadvantaged children and families, including shelter, food and clothing necessary for the development of a strong community and for individual self-sufficiency. Support for emergency shelters, children's homes and area food banks are just a few examples of this support.
- Education: Valero is a strong advocate of education and contributes to programs, agencies or organizations that share the same focus. In 2017, the foundation provided $5.8 million in support to education-related programs throughout the U.S.
- Health care: Overall in 2017, the foundation provided about $5.3 million in support to various health-care providers and health-related programs and services. Major gifts include support of various children's hospitals as well as university medical centers for research to discover cures for Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis and cancer.
- Civic: Valero believes in improving the quality of life for all in the communities where it has major operations. In 2017, through its support of civic programs and the arts, the Valero Energy Foundation provided approximately $741,000 in support of quality arts programs, including partnerships with art, history and children's museums, as well as digital media in schools.
- If your organization shares this mission, please click here or on the logo below to apply for a grant. After clicking on the link, you will be leaving valero.com. Neither Valero nor Valero Energy Foundation is responsible for content or privacy policies on other sites.
- Canada's Benefit for Children golf tournament, under the Valero Energy Foundation of Canada, has raised $5 million for children’s charities throughout Quebec, Ontario and the Atlantic provinces the past 13 years. The event in 2017 raised $400,000.
- Valero’s cycling team, Velo Valero, is one of the top fundraising teams in the annual Bike MS: Valero Ride to the River event. As title sponsor, the Valero Energy Foundation raised more than $152,000 in 2017 for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s South Central Chapter.
Established in 1983, the Valero Volunteer Council is comprised of dedicated employees at each location who lead local volunteer efforts in their communities. Through the years, the councils have built a strong bond with many local charities, organizations and agencies helping to improve quality of life. Volunteer Councils assemble on their own time to discuss the needs of each community.
- Valero employees logged more than 153,000 volunteer hours in 2017 for hundreds of community projects, including mentorships, shelter support, holiday events, emergency relief and a host of other activities, translating to $3.7 million in saved out-of-pocket labor costs.
- Valero is a strong supporter of food banks wherever it operates, sponsoring several food drives each year. Since 2008, Valero's corporate employees have donated more than 2 million pounds of food or monetary food equivalents to the San Antonio Food Bank, in addition to efforts at other locations. The drives are essential in helping countless families, schools and individuals who depend upon assistance from the community food banks and pantries.
- Valero Volunteers additionally have built numerous Habitat for Humanity homes throughout Valero’s communities. In 2017, volunteers completed the 1,000th San Antonio Habitat home sponsored by the Valero Energy Foundation. Valero has contributed about $1.5 million and thousands of volunteer hours helping to sponsor or build Habitat homes in virtually every region since 2008.
Valero supports many worthy military organizations, such as Operation Comfort, Operation Homefront, USO San Antonio, the Admiral Nimitz Foundation and others. For the 13th consecutive Thanksgiving Day, a record 525 members of the U.S. military in 2017 were treated to a traditional holiday meal at headquarters, while 250 Valero Volunteers and their families served a traditional holiday meal and entertained their young military guests.